The 5th International Symposium on Green Chemistry, Sustainable Development and Circular Economy presents current issues in the field of green chemistry, sustainable development and circular economy. It also serves as a follow-up to the previous four congresses, the last of which took place in Kos island, September 24-26, 2014. The ongoing aim of the symposium is the presentation and dissemination of scientific progress and research on novel approaches, syntheses, processing and uses of chemical substances in such a way as to reduce threats to human and animal health and to the environment. The symposium aspires to encourage the exchange of ideas and knowledge and to strengthen communication and cooperation between environmental chemists, toxicologists, biologists, engineers and other diverse groups (managers, regulators, policy makers and academia) concerned by current issues in green chemistry with a focus on environment, health and development.
The symposium is organized by the Society of Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety (SECOTOX) together with the German Research Centre for Environmental Health and the Division of Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Skiathos island was chosen to host the 5th International Symposium on Green Chemistry, Sustainable Development and Circular Economy being simultaneously a touristic destination of exceptional beauty and a hallmark of rich cultural heritage.
A total of 96 manuscripts have been presented in the symposium with participants from all over the world contributing their work. The manuscripts have been arranged in the following 6 topics:
- Industry – Environment & Health (8)
- Toxicology and Ecotoxicology of Chemicals and Products (12)
- Case Studies and Monitoring (8)
- Environmentally Benign Processes and Products (7)
- Development and Identification of Novel Green Technologies, Products and Perspectives (14)
- Circular Economy (12)
- Green Remediation/Green Catalysis and Biocatalysis (10)
- Chemical Waste Management (5)
- Eco-Design, Sustainability in Production and in Consumption (8)
- Environmental Legislation and Policy (4)
- Environmental Scores and Measures (5)
- Environmental Economics (2)
- Green Development (1)
We would like to thank:
- The authors of the papers, for their contributions.
- The organizing committee of the symposium.
- The international scientific committee and the reviewers of the abstracts for their invaluable assistance in order to ensure high scientific standards.
- The sponsors of the symposium for their financial support, without which it would not have been possible to keep the registration fee at a reasonable cost.
- All participants for their involvement in the exchange of knowledge, expertise and ideas, which is the essence of this symposium.
- Grafima Publications for their collaboration as well as for their contribution to the editing of the book of abstracts.